Mid and East Antrim launches 2026 Accessible and Inclusive Tourism Programme
Friday 20 February 2026
Mid and East Antrim Borough Council has opened applications for its 2026 ‘Embracing Accessible & Inclusive Tourism Programme’.
It is designed to help local tourism and hospitality businesses create more welcoming, inclusive visitor experiences for people with disabilities.
Research shows that 95% of disabled people actively seek accessibility information before visiting new or unfamiliar places. They are looking for the availability of clear, factual and easy-to-find details, which play a vital role in travel-decision making. This programme responds directly to that need, supporting businesses to strengthen both their accessibility provision and their market reach.
The programme forms part of the Council’s wider Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) commitments and its strategic ambition to position the Borough as a leader in accessible tourism. It is open to small and medium-sized tourism and hospitality experiences, including visitor attractions, non-hotel accommodation providers and sit-in hospitality venues.
Launching the initiative, Mayor of Mid and East Antrim, Councillor Jackson Minford said the programme reflects the Council’s vision for a destination that works for everyone.
“This programme is an important step towards making Mid and East Antrim a truly welcoming destination for all. As accessible tourism continues to grow, it offers local businesses the opportunity to strengthen their accessibility credentials and enhance their reputation for inclusive service.
“By building businesses confidence in delivering accessible and inclusive experiences, we are supporting not only our tourism offer but also the wider economic and cultural development of the Borough.”
Participants accepted onto the programme will gain practical tools, expert guidance and industry insight to help them deliver a more inclusive and confident visitor welcome. This includes a 75% funded, industry-recognised accessibility assessment working in conjunction with trained surveyors from AccessAble. They will also complete MyTourismNI’s accessible and inclusive tourism e-learning modules and together, these elements ensure businesses are equipped with both the physical insights and communication skills needed to welcome a broader range of visitors.
Tourism providers involved in last year’s pilot programme reported significant, practical benefits.
Helen Stewart, owner of Arran View Bed and Breakfast, commented: “Taking part helped us realise that accessibility goes far beyond the physical environment. It’s also about understanding guests with sensory, cognitive or hidden disabilities and ensuring they feel welcomed. The support encouraged us to think differently, and we’ve seen how even small adjustments can make a meaningful difference. It’s a journey worth taking for any business committed to inclusivity.”
Maebh Bird, owner of Slemish Barn, said: “The insights we gained were clear and actionable, leading directly to improvements we could introduce straight away. What was most encouraging is that enhancing accessibility doesn’t always require major investment - often small steps have the greatest impact. The process really strengthened our overall visitor welcome.”
For more information, including eligibility criteria, businesses can visit the Council’s tourism trade support hub on the Shaped by Sea and Stone website or email tourism@midandeastantrim.gov.uk.
A full online application form, including programme criteria, is available on our Microsoft Form.
Closing date for completed applications: 9am, Monday 2 March 2026.